The Fort King George Historic Site, on the river bluff, had been used by Indians for over
10,000 years. The lower bluff on the Altamaha River was occupied by a succession of Indian
groups, was later inhabited by the Spanish missionaries, and eventually became a British
fortified outpost in 1721. The museum at the site relates the story of the Indian as well
as the Spanish, British, and Scottish generations of Americans.
For more information, call 912-437-4770 or visit: